One of my fondest childhood memories is going to the toy store with my parents for a special occasion. The anticipation of the visit, dreaming up lists of what to buy and the sight of shelves filled with toys upon toys, at the actual visit, are cherished childhood experiences. If you wish to replicate this experience with your own children but are afraid of tantrums at the store, I have some tips for you on how to have a successful trip to the toy store.
- Take your children when they are well-fed and rested.
- Give children a budget and clearly communicate that they will need to stay within that amount. You will be surprised how even little children can understand if you help them read the price labels.
- Guide children but let them decide themselves.
- Discuss with them how they are choosing the toy(s).
- If they want to buy more toys than the budget, tell them that we can add the toys to a wish-list that can be referred to for the next special toy-giving occasion.
- Give children gentle reminders about time left starting from 15 minutes so that they are well-prepared.
- When children thank you for the visit, congratulate them also on their decision making skills and repeat some positive behaviours you noticed.
As you can probably tell by now, I love going to the toy store with my children and can spend hours there myself! One of our favourite stores is Mastermind Toys which is Canada’s largest specialty toy and children’s books store in business for over 35 years.
I love the curation of toys and books at the store and always find something on my list and more! There is also a lot of inspiration if you’re looking for ideas.
The staff at each Mastermind Toys location is super helpful and loves to suggest toys suited for various needs. There is always someone to answer a question or play with a toy!
Every time I have visited a Mastermind Toys store, it’s like stepping into a toy heaven and the child in me wants to explore all day long! The ambience is welcoming and all employees are toy-enthusiasts themselves!
One of the best parts of the experience is that each gift can be beautifully wrapped at the store at no extra cost!
This holiday season the toy experts at Mastermind Toys have put together the 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for you to find the perfect toys categorized by age.
Maybe you’re shopping for a crafter, a dinosaur-enthusiast, or the budding gamer. There is something for everyone at Mastermind Toy’s 69 Canadian stores and on www.mastermindtoys.com
I especially love the book selection at Mastermind Toys which is hand-picked by the staff to appeal to children of different ages. There are lots of ideas here.
This holiday season, Mastermind Toys is supporting WE Well-being, a new initiative that will provide 100,000 Canadian children with resources and school curriculum to nurture their mental and physical well-being. When you purchase select items at Mastermind Toys: WE rafiki and DIY bracelets, WE chocolate and Tie On Goodness Tags, you are contributing directly to WE Well-being. In partnership with WE Charity since 2015, Mastermind Toys, together with their customers, have raised over $1 million towards service-learning programs for Canadian students, and school building and sustainable development projects worldwide.
Checkout this video of our fun visit to Mastermind Toys!
Do participate in our contest to win $50 gift card to shop at Mastermind Toys online or in store!
Follow the rules on the Instagram and Facebook posts below.
Let me know if you have any questions! Comment on this blog post and YouTube video for a bonus entry!
Disclaimer: This blog post is sponsored by Mastermind Toys. All opinions are my own.