We have been trying to eat more vegetables and this turnip kebab (shaljam kabab) recipe is a great way to not only add more vegetables to your diet but also have a delicious side that can be enjoyed with brown rice at dinner.
To make these turnip kebab (shaljam kabab) I referred to the recipe by the famous Pakistani chef Zubaida Tariq and made a few changes especially adding ‘anar dana’ according to the recipe by Sumayya Usmani. I have added Zubaida Tariq’s recipe in Urdu at the bottom of this post and here is the recipe I used in English.
Chana daal 1 cup
ginger/garlic paste One tablespoon
Red chilies One tablespoon
Ground cumin 1 tablespoon
Garam masala 1 tablespoon
Ground coriander 1 tablespoon
ground anar dana 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Mint One tablespoon chopped
Bread crumbs 1/2 cup
Oil 1 tablespoon
Turnip Kebab (Shaljam Kabab) Recipe
- Put the chana daal and two cups of water in a pot with garam masala, ground coriander, red chili powder, ground cumin, cloves and ginger/garlic paste.
- Cook till all the water evaporates and the chana daal is thoroughly cooked.
- Place in a food processor and grind the chana daal.
- Cut the turnip into pieces and boil with some water.
- Mash the turnip. Place in a strainer and take out all extra water.
- Add the bread crumbs (I use bread edges my kids won’t eat), chana daal, mint, ground anar dana and turnip in a bowl together and mix well.
- Make into kebab shapes.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the kebab.
You can enjoy these turnip kebab (shaljam kabab) with brown rice and salad. Do let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out!
Here is Zubaida Tariq’s recipe in Urdu. I didn’t add onion because I froze a batch also.