Chicken Karahi is one of the most famous southasian dishes. There are many different ways to make this delicious cuisine as everyone seems to have their own signature recipe.
Growing up, my father would always make Chicken Karahi for big dawats (dinners) at our house in an actual Karahi, blackened over years of use and serve it in the same (inspite of my mother’s futile protests). He felt this was the only authentic way to enjoy this delicacy.
I have tried many different recipes for Chicken Karahi (and still have to convince my father to share his) but found this particular one by a dear friend to be the easiest.
Chicken: 8-10 medium sized skinless pieces including legs, thighs and breasts (around 1 1/2 kg)
Tomatoes: 14 diced
Ginger and Garlic Paste: One tablespoon
Ginger: One inch sliced small
Cilantro: One bunch chopped
Fresh ground pepper: one teaspoon
Salt: To Taste
Red Chili Powder: To Taste
Turmeric Powder: one teaspoon
Oil: three tablespoon
- Marinate the chicken in the ginger and garlic paste (preferably overnight but even five minutes is ok)
- Put one tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and add 7 diced tomatoes. Cook on medium heat till they become a paste. Set aside.
- Heat two tablespoon of oil in a pot. Once it warms up add around one teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Let it crackle.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on medium to high heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once chicken becomes brown add the tomato paste you made in step 2, the rest of the diced 7 tomatoes, salt, chili powder and turmeric. Stir in on high heat for a minute and then lower heat to medium.
- Let the chicken cook for 25-30 minutes on medium-low heat. You will know it’s done when the oil rises above.
- Garnish with ginger strips and chopped cilantro
Chicken Kerhai is best enjoyed with naan. This recipe will serve 4-5 people. The total prep and cooking time is 45 minutes. You can save time by doing step 2 in parallel to step 1,3 and 4.
Instant Pot Chicken Kerhai
To make this recipe in the Instant Pot follow Step 1 and 2. For step 3 put the Instant Pot on the “Saute” Setting and follow the instructions. Step 4 and 5 can be followed in the Instant Pot on the “Saute” setting. For step 6 put the Instant Pot on Manual 15 minutes and let it cook. Garnish with ginger strips and chopped cilantro.
Let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out.
How do you make chicken karahi? What’s your special recipe?
+ Are you having a desi dinner at your house? Read here about “The Twelve Things That Happen at a Desi Party”