Aalo ke katliyan is a dish that I fondly remember being made regularly at home while growing up in Pakistan. This week I was craving it and attempted the recipe from memory. It turned out delicious! In this blog post I’m sharing the same aalo ke katliyan recipe.
Something really interesting about this simplest of dishes is that it’s called different names in different homes. In Jaffar’s family it’s called aalo ke chanday, other homes call it aalo ke qatliyan, aalo ke warqiyan or aalo ke bhujia. Whatever name you use for it, this wholesome dish is enjoyed in every South Asian home. Some eat it with roti, others with rice or with naan.
Aalo Ke Katliyan Recipe
Potatoes 7-8 medium sized ones
Tomatoes 2-3 medium sized ones
Cilantro 1/4 cup leaves chopped
Salt to taste
Garam masala 1 tablespoon (powder form)
Chilli flakes. to taste
Oil 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
How to Aalo Ke Katliyan:
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Chop the onion and add to the oil. Let the onion turn brown.
- Now chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add to the onion mix.
- Cook till the oil rises and a nice paste forms.
- Sprinkle salt and chilli flakes according to your taste.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Cut the potatoes into thin round slices and add to the mix.
- Turn the potatoes around in the pan so that they are well covered with the tomato gravy.
- Pour one cup hot water in the pan and cover the pan.
- Let the potatoes cook for around 15 minutes till they turn soft.
- Move the potatoes by moving the pan, don’t use the spoon otherwise the potatoes will break.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, garnish with chopped cilantro.
- You’re all done!
Aalo ke katliyan is simple and delicious. It goes really well with rice, roti or naan.
Do let me know if you try the aalo ke katliyan recipe and share how it turns out!